A few years ago, The PGA of America started an exciting new program called the PGA Junior League. It brings ‘little league’ fun to the game of golf.
Five years ago, Mallard Creek became involved when we organized our first team. We won our league that year and what was even more special, our post-season team made it to the National Championship in Orlando, Florida at Disney World.
It was such a great experience in 2015, that we decided to expand the program in 2016 by forming a 6-team league at Mallard Creek. Again, we were good enough to advance to the National Championship. This time we went to Arizona, where we finished 3rd in the entire country, were featured on the Golf Channel and had the time of our lives.
In 2019, we had 72 juniors take part in the program and again managed to advance to the National Championship. Last season marked the fifth consecutive trip to the National Championship for Mallard Creek’s PGA Junior League. With more than 5,000 teams and 60,000 junior golfers nationwide, that’s no small accomplishment and something parents, junior golfers, coaches and the local community are all proud to be a part of!
PGA Junior League Golf Explained:
The league is designed for children ages 8-13 (must be 8-13 on August 1, 2020) of all abilities. However, it is recommended that players have some knowledge and experience in golf. We can tell you from our first three years that our less experienced golfers had just as much fun as our more experienced golfers.
We are really excited to combine the forces of the PGA, US Kids Golf and Mallard Creek to create a great experience for junior golfers with this unique and fun league!
- The league is designed to provide a recreational, fun golf opportunity to juniors
- Each team consists of up to 12 players, boys and girls, ages 8-13
- There are 5 practices in May and June before matches begin. The practices will cover full swing, short game and putting.
- After 2-3 practices, equal teams will be announced.
- The regular season consists of 5 matches against other teams in our league.
- Each match will be at Mallard Creek Golf Club
- Competitions are played as 3 person scrambles and played in a match play format.
- Everyone plays in every competition.
- Each match starts with three six-somes, each playing a scramble versus scramble match.
- Matches are broken into 3 hole contests called flags.
- After 3 holes, substitutions are made and the next flag begins. (3 flags per 9 holes)
- The team with the most flags will be the winner of the competition.
- There is a post-season which progresses from local to national.
Along with the 5 matches, the 5 practices will include instruction and drills provided by Jim Wise, PGA (League Captain), Chris Reed, US Kids Golf (League Coach) and several guest golf professionals. Bre Reed, US Kids Golf, will be handling the administrative end of the league.
Practices will be conducted on Thursday nights, starting with the last Thursday in April. All players will practice at the same time. Teams will be decided on May 14 and then teams will be practicing together thereafter.
Matches will take place on Friday nights, beginning June 12. Players will be paired so players of different abilities are always playing together.
The cost of the league’s $300, which is due when you register online (you can only register online).
We are limited to 72 players, so please register as soon as possible.
- Thursday nights, 6-8:00 p.m. April 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28, (June 4 Rain Date)
- Friday nights, 5:30-9:30 p.m. June 12, 19, 26, July 10, 18, (July 24 Rain Date)
Click the button below to register your junior golfer(s) for PGA Junior League: